Key application dates:
- The main international student application period is 1 May-15 November, for studies commencing in semester 1 (February).
- International student applications can be submitted from 1 May-30 April for studies commencing the following semester 2 (July).
- Some programmes have different application periods (e.g. programmes in teaching, oral health, dental technology, postgraduate dentistry).
- PhD and thesis-only Masters' applications can be submitted year round, with support from a supervisor.
Step 1 – Select your course or programme
If you are applying for a PhD or Research Master's degree there is a different application process. This may also apply to other postgraduate programmes.
Please refer to the department website for more information on postgraduate studies.
Step 2 – Check entry requirements and deadlines
If you do not meet our academic or English language requirements you may wish to consider enrolling on one of our pathway or preparatory programmes.
International student key dates and deadlines
Step 3 – Apply online
All applications must be submitted online
You can apply directly online using the 'Apply Now' button on the top of the programme page.This takes you to the University of Otago admissions application system, called eVision.
Apply through an authorised agent
You can also apply through an authorised agent in your country.
Additional steps if you are applying for a PhD or a Research Master's degree
Please ensure you have secured a supervisor and provided them with the necessary documentation
All postgraduate applicants (including Coursework Master's and Postgraduate Diplomas) should check with the Department or Faculty for any additional requirements before submitting your application online.
If you need assistance completing your application
Step 4 – Submit your application
Once you have completed your application information and uploaded your documents, you need to SUBMIT your application so it may be evaluated.
You will need to regularly check your eVision portal for any notifications or additional information that may be requested.
- The University of Otago will send you (and your agent if applicable) an email within 4 to 6 working days confirming that we have received your application.
- You will be assigned an Admissions Co-ordinator and all future correspondence will be made through your online portal.
- We will inform you if your offer has been successful as soon as possible.
- Please note, it may take up to 6 weeks.
Step 5 – Accept your Offer of Place
Successful applications will be issued with an Offer of Place letter through the eVision portal.
To secure your place will need to click the 'accept' button.
Your offer of place letter also has other important information including student visa, insurance, tuition fees and next steps.